Wednesday, May 10, 2006

When Joy Comes Flooding In

Oh, well, from the title itself, this post has got something to do with joy. And before I start, joy shall be defined. According to the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary ( apologies to Cheng Fai for plagiarizing his infamous quote ), joy is defined as a feeling of great happiness or a person/thing that causes you to feel very happy.

Indeed, I'm full of joy. "Why?" would be the question in your mind right now. Alright, it may sound silly to you and I know it would but it's completely the truth. On Sunday, when I came back from church, I found a dog ( puppy ) outside my house. It's not like I've never seen a dog before but I'm just 100% attracted to animals (please don't get me wrong, the attraction I have for female humans and animals are different). I'm currently keeping it but too bad, I'm not going to rare it because I already have a dog. This is my first joy.

My second joy would be a thing. I've gotten myself a new handphone! Oh, yea, it's Samsung D820, the slide phone which is only 15.2 mm thick. Haha! Gone are all my troubles! I spent about half a year bearing with the cursed Motorola phone which gave me more trouble than I could ask for. Interested to see the photo of it? Go check it out yourself lah ~ haha.

Well, on to the serious part. God is really, really great. You might wonder how God is related to all my non-sensical joy but let me assure you that He is. My parents once said that we ( my siblings and I ) would not get a handphone until we go for our tertiary education. That rule was implemented on all my siblings except for me. I prayed to God for a handphone when I was in Form 4. And sure enough, I got what I prayed for. I know you may be thinking, "What the crap, man, you PRAYED for those things?" but all I can say is I did. I was using a Nokia 1100 at that time and many of my friends are using "cekap" phones. Due to my greedy and covetous nature, I began to be unsatisfied. So, I prayed another prayer asking for a colour phone this time. God answered my prayer through my aunty. She stays in US and handphones are free over there. And so, I got myself a Samsung E630C, a slide phone. Well, the phone did not last long and it lived for only a year. Somehow, I managed to get a Motorola phone from my cousin. That phone was oh-so stylish and cool BUT the features were like, you know. Don't judge a book by its cover. And this being my third phone, I could not complain anymore. I thought that I had to live the rest of my life ( or at least for a long time ) using this phone.

Well, throughout the years, I've changed a little and so I stopped praying for things like handphones. This time, I tried and succeeded in being contented with the Motorola phone. Even so, the greedy and covetous nature would sometime surface again and prompt me to ask my mom for a new phone. But my mom, being the firm and sensible woman that she is, did not give in to my demands. And yet, God was so gracious that when I came back from RBS, my mom suggested that I change my phone. This was because she noticed and also experienced the "lousyness" of the Motorola phone. But of course, nothing is free in this world ( except for salvation ) and there was a price to pay - in cash. I had to fish out a large amount of dough ( $$$ ) for this new phone even though my mom relieved me of half the price. Still, God is really a great God, isn't He? He answers not only your said prayers but your unsaid prayers as well. He knows our needs.

Let us take a journey into God's Word.

"Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

Matthew 6:25 - 34

Amen.

Well the dog story would be another long story but hey, I'm an expertise in cutting everything short. To summarize the story, it would be that my mom hates dogs and I love dogs. She wouldn't let me rare one but somehow I got one. Well, she grew to like dogs a little more but still she dislikes them. And somehow again, I'm keeping two now even though I'll have to give one away later. Oh well, temporary joy would be better than joyless right? Indeed God has blessed me with countless of things. God is great and God is good.

P/S : Yea, I'm gloating over my dog and my phone. So, here are some photos of them.


My new dog, Koala Bear.


My new phone, currently unnamed.

If you think this post is total rubbish, get lost and don't read my blog. I'm rude, so what?

2 comments:

"Zach" said...

Hehe.... according to my Economics book, Economics is a study to study how to use the limited resources of the world to fulfil the UNLIMITED wants (kehendak) of Clarence Choong. Oops. Did I say Clarence? I mean humans...

Anonymous said...

Nice phone...
Hehehehe...